Sunday, October 16, 2011

Elder Neil L. Andersen

I'm a little behind on my blogging, but I wanted to share the events of today with you while they are fresh on my mind. We had Stake Conference today and while I find it very difficult to attend Stake Conference for 2 hours with my children...we knew today was a time we weren't going to miss. Hunter's Creek Stake had the opportunity to have Elder Neil L. Anderson attend and speak with us.

I was sitting there waiting for the meeting to begin when my friend, Mary, got my attention. She pointed forward in the middle of the isle and said for me to take my kids to meet him. When I looked in that direction I saw Elder Andersen walking around with President Pratt. Where I was sitting it was actually easier to send Spencer with the kids. He quickly took the kids toward them. They started walking to the pulpit when President Pratt noticed my kids and had Elder Andersen turn back to come towards them. I sat there with a huge smile on my face. Sitting about 30 yards away, you could still feel the spirit with his interaction with the children. The kids walked back with Spencer and were all smiling. Kaylie was so excited and said "we got to tell him our names". Spencer said he has never felt the spirit so strongly as he did shaking his hand. What an amazing experience for the kids to meet an Apostle, a General Authority of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

I went into this meeting with a very open heart and mind and wanted to really get something out of today. It's not every day that you have an Apostle at church. There were many great speakers before Elder Andersen today and I did my best to write notes on the things that were most inspiring to me. 


President Pratt (Hunter's Creek Stake President) spoke of holding to the Iron Rod and quoted D&C 52:14
And again, I will give unto you a pattern in all things, that ye may not be deceived; for Satan is abroad in the land, and he goeth forth deceiving the nations—


Elder Burns (Area Seventy) spoke about the Savior knowing each and every one of us individually. He commented "The Savior knows his flock".


Sister Rachel Taylor (Stake Young Women's President) spoke of the temptations that we face and how we are fighting for eternal life. A comment she made that I really liked was that we need to "choose daily to combat Satan." She is such a great example to the young women.


Before Elder Andersen spoke we were able to hear from his wife, Sister Kathy Andersen. I loved listening to her speak. She is from Florida and it was fun to hear her talk about that. She told a story about when her 4 children were younger they would use the conference Ensign for their weekly Family Home Evening. She wanted each of her children to have a copy of all 15 talks so one day she went to the copy store and printed out 5 copies of each talk. When she got to the counter her total was around $50, she was in shock. She was embarrassed by the thought she had 'was it worth it for each of them to have a copy'. Sister Andersen then asked "What is it worth for you to have the words of Prophets?" 


Now we still have about 40 minutes left in the meeting when Elder Neil L. Andersen gets to the pulpit. Is this going to be a long boring talk? Absolutely not. I honestly believe that he chuckled during much of his talk. He spoke of many different things. One of the things that really stood out was when he said "never delay a prompting by the holy ghost". How many times do we do this though? Have the thought to call a friend? Think to do or say something, but we don't? There is "no greater feeling to being the answer to a heartfelt prayer". Don't disregard your feelings because it just might be the answer to a prayer. I loved listening to him speak of his interactions with President Hinkley, President Monson and other Authorities of the church. 


One of the stories he told was from an address made by President Boyd K. Packer to a multi-stake conference. "There were two farmers once who had adjoining fields. The one never worked in his field on Sunday, and his neighbor used to chide him about it. He said, “Your crops aren’t doing as well as mine are. Why don’t you work on Sunday?” He said, “Well, I want to do what the Lord said. I want to gain the blessings of the Lord.” Then one October day, they stood at the fence line, and the one farmer said, “Well, just look at it. Look at my field. It’s beautiful, the grain is tall, the heads are full of wheat. And yours show a little sign of neglect. You haven’t tended yours as well as I have tended mine. Look at my harvest compared to yours. What do you say now about the blessings you thought you were earning?” This man thought for a few minutes and said, “Well, the Lord doesn't balance his books in October.


After this meeting I know that I need to be more active in reading my scriptures and teaching my children who each one of the General Authorities are. Beginning tomorrow for Family Home Evening I want to start with President Monson and work our way down. I want them to know the faces of our Apostles and learn more about them. I am so grateful for the opportunity we had to attend Stake Conference today and listen to Elder Neil L. Andersen speak. I bare my testimony that I know that this is the true church and the words we heard today were from the Lord. I am so grateful for the examples that I have had in my life. Especially my Grandpa & Grandma Hicken....if it weren't for them I would not be sitting here today writing about church. My Grandma really never gives up on her kids or grand kids, and while I was in my own world at a time...I'm now back holding to the Iron Rod along with my little family. I love my husband, Spencer and our 4 wonderful children, Kendra, Kaylie, Lucas & Chaz!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Katie, THIS is my Sabbath highlight. Tears in my eyes, heart touched, so well written. I loved every word. Thank you so much for sharing and for sharing with me your testimony. You are such a strong woman and I love to have you as my friend.

    ReplyDelete


All because 2 people fell in Love!

In love!